Perry, the ship’s parrot
We are sitting, swinging from the hook in Bull harbour.
Bull harbour is nestled in Hope island, and represents the last shelter there is on the eastern side of Vancouver island.

We arrived yesterday. The wind gods  gave us a two day window to get over the top of the island and round Cape Scott, so the plan was to leave this morning at 5am.

The rain came in the night and it was constant. At 5am we bounced out of bed, raring to start our big day when we both took pause and looked at each other.

We don’t plan on visiting the moody but beautiful Cape Scott very many times in our lifetime and it would be really nice to see it rather than squint at it through rain and mist.

So we went back to bed. The forecast was for rain all day finishing tomorrow morning. We decided to opt for day two of our weather window.

Every thing happens for a reason. This is especially so when we’re on the boat.

We spent a lazy day here in Bull harbour. Just us and the Eagles that swoop and soar around the bay. 

We asked the First Nation for permission to go for a hike on their land and hiked out to the beach on the other side of the island. A raw and beautiful place, populated by sea otters pottering about in the bull kelp by the shore each trying to ‘out-cute’ the others. The beach looks due north towards Cape Caution and Haida Gwaii…The next place I feel a draw too….but we’ll leave that for another year.

Looking north from Roller Bay

Later on:

As I typed this the wind was howling through the rigging, the boat was snug but sailing at anchor and healing over in the big gusts as the rain drove by. This whole area is an exposed and tempestuous place, and this was its gentle way to teach us to be patient. The weather here is famous for being moodier than a teenagegirl at a Nickleback concert.

…later on that evening as we listened to the latest weather forecast we discovered that a low was sitting nearby and the weather window was gone. We needed to sit another day at anchor. 

Three days on the hook with a 6 year old on board. The good news is that the boat is in one piece, and so are the parents….mostly.

Later on in chatting with other cruisers, I was reminded that every thing happens for a reason. We met a couple who had been out the first day that we had chosen not to round. The seas had been very heavy and with the wind in their faces they had been struggling to keep the boat from hobby horsing all the way down the coast.

Looks like bed really was an attractive option that morning after all.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!
Northern Hideaway